Kahoot! engages students through game-style learning for more engaging learning.
Itis a digital learning platform that uses quiz-style activities to help students learn by making content more engaging and enjoyable.
As one of the most well-known names in quiz-based learning, it’s impressive that Kahoot! still provides a free platform, making it easily accessible to both teachers and students.
It’s also useful in a hybrid class that combines digital and classroom-based instruction.
The cloud-based service will be accessible via a web browser on most devices.
This means that students can access it in class or at home via laptops, iPads, and cellphones.
Because the information is segmented, teachers can more easily target teaching age or ability-specific content, allowing them to reach students at multiple levels.
This article will teach you everything you need to know about it, as well as some useful tips and tactics for getting the most out of the digital tool.
What is Kahoot!?
Kahoot! is a cloud-based quiz tool designed for students and teachers.
Because the game-based platform allows you to develop new quizzes from scratch, you may be creative and provide students with personalized learning possibilities.
It already has over 40 million games that anybody can access, making it quick and easy to get started.
When time and resources are limited, hybrid or distance learning is ideal.
Because Ka.hoot! is free, all that is required to get started is the creation of an account.
Students can access itfrom any location with an internet connection using most devices.
How Does Kahoot! Work?
At its most basic, consists of a question and optional multiple choice answers.
To increase interactivity, rich media such as photographs and movies can be added.
Meanwhile it can be utilized in the classroom, it is best suited for distance learning.
Teachers can create a quiz and then wait to view the results as students complete it.
They can also conduct a live hosted quiz utilizing video – using third-party apps like Zoom (opens in new tab) or Meet (opens in new tab) to be present while students work through the difficulties.
While there is a timer-based quiz mode, you can also disable it. In that case, more difficult tasks requiring research time can be assigned.
Teachers can also evaluate results and conduct analytics from game reports for formative evaluations to better measure student development.
To begin, go to getkahoot.com (opens in new tab) and create a free account. Select “Sign Up,” then “Teacher,” and then your institution, which might be “school,” “further education,” or “school administration.”
You can then register with your email and password, or with a Google or Microsoft account, which is great if your school already utilizes Google Classroom .
Once you’ve joined up, you can start creating your own quiz or choose one of the many pre-made alternatives. Or combine the two by creating a new quiz but using the half-million question alternatives already available on Kahoot!
How to Create a Kahoot! Account
- Navigate to https://kahoot.com/.
- In the upper right corner of the website, click Sign Up.
- Select As a teacher.
- Choose Sign up with Microsoft.
- Enter your Microsoft Cougarnet credentials on the “Sign in” page:
- password and email@example.com
- On the “Permissions Requested” tab, click Accept.
- Fill out all of the essential information on the “Your account details” page. Then click Join Kahoot!
- On the “Available Plans” tab, read about the various plans and their features. Scroll down the page and select Choose the basic edition for teachers if you only want the basic features.
How to Create a Kahoot! Quiz
You must first register a Kahoot! account before you can create a Ka-hoot! quiz. If you haven’t already, check out this “How to Create an Account” instruction.
- Navigate to https://kahoot.com, click Log in, and input your Kahoot account information.
- To begin creating, click the Create button in the top right corner of the screen or any of the activity categories.
- Select Quiz to make a multiple-choice quiz.
- In the Kahoot! Quiz settings:
- Enter the quiz name, a description of the quiz, privacy status, language preference, and target audience.
- You can use your own cover image or one from the Ka.hoot! image gallery.
- Add a YouTube video link in the ‘Intro video’ box if you want the students to see an introductory video while they wait for the Kahoot! to start.
- When the Question screen appears, click OK, Go, and then Add Question.
- In Kahoot!, create a question:
- Enter questions and answer options, with questions limited to 95 characters.
You can also use the Quiz spreadsheet template to upload questions.
- Select the proper response.
You can have one accurate response or all correct answers.
- Change the time restrictions and toggle points on and off.
- As a prompt, include a picture or a YouTube video among the questions.
- You can reorder questions by dragging them to the desired spot.
- When you’ve finished adding all of the questions, click Save.
- Select I’m Done.
You may now modify, play, and share the Kahoot! quiz.
Who can use Kahoot!?
Because it is web-based, it is compatible with most devices, including laptops, tablets, smartphones, Chromebooks, and desktop computers.
It is available online in a browser window as well as in app form, with iOS and Android versions.
It integrates with Microsoft Teams (opens in new tab), making it easier for teachers to share challenges.
This enables extra choices in the premium or pro versions, such as the opportunity to co-create Kahoots with colleagues.
What are the best Kahoot! features?
Ghost is a fantastic feature that allows students to compete against their own past top scores, turning improving performance into a game.
This allows you to go through a quiz multiple times, which helps to ensure that material is ingrained at a deeper level.
Improve each student’s knowledge by using results analytics to determine who has struggled and with what, so you can assist them in that area.
Utilize the variety of quizzes made by other instructors and already available on Kahoot! that are free to use.
You can even combine many Ka-hoots to create an ultimate quiz.
First, evaluate the students.
Before you begin teaching a subject, a Ka.hoot quiz can be a wonderful tool to check students’ knowledge to prevent making it too simple or too hard for the class.
Make use of media
You can easily add videos from YouTube.
This is an excellent approach to have kids watch and learn while knowing they will be questioned when the video stops.
You can also upload photographs and, in the case of the iOS app, draw your own.
greatest Kahoot! tips and techniques
Drive the class
Set a quiz at the beginning of class and adjust your teaching for that lesson based on how everyone does, allowing you to tailor it to each student as needed.
Save time with pre-written
Use questions already in Ka-hoot! to create a personalized quiz without having to type out each question — the search function works nicely here.
Play with ghosts
Allow students to progress against their previous high score by using Ghost mode. A fantastic technique to compare the beginning and finish of a lesson to determine where improvements can be made.
Allow students to create.
Allow your students to make their own tests to present in class, both to help others learn and to demonstrate how much they know in order to create.
How to Create a Kahoot
- Go to getkahoot.com and create a free account. Once on your dashboard, select whether you want to create a new Kahoot or clone an existing one.
- To alter someone else’s Kahoot, first replicate it.
- Use the Quiz/Discussion/Survey options to create a kahoot from scratch.
- Explain your Kahoot.
You’ll be brought to the description page of your new Ka-hoot, whether you picked a Quiz, Discussion, or Survey.
Before clicking “OK, go,” enter a title, description, and audience.
- Include a question with at least two possible responses, and mark at least one as accurate (green checkmark)
When you’re ready to return to the overview page and save or add another question, click ‘Next.’
You can change the time limit, modify, duplicate, or delete your questions at any moment.
- Include and revise. When you return to the overview page, your questions will appear directly above the ‘new question’ button. You can update the description text/tags, cover image, and intro video using the tools on your dashboard.
- Examine, Play, and Share! When you’re through with your content, click the’save’ button at the top of the overview page. You will be given the choice of editing, previewing, playing, or sharing your new kahoot.
The ‘Preview’ option will not be available if your browser is not at least 1200 pixels wide.
Check out Kahoot’s official Step-by-Step-Guide for a more complete guide!
How to Play a Kahoot Game
- If you’re leading a Kahoot for others to play, connect your device to something that all of your learners can see, such as a projector screen or large TV for local play, or a service like Youtube Live or Skype to stream your screen online.
- Once you’ve decided on a Kahoot, you’ll need to choose a game mode (traditional or team) before you can play it.
- Play! You should now see a lobby screen with instructions to visit kahoot.it and enter a game PIN.
Keep this website open and advise your students to follow the instructions on their own devices. As they join, their nicknames will show on your screen. Once everyone has joined, click ‘Start.’
- Click the ‘Next’ button to advance through the results displays and to the next question.
Once all questions have been answered, you will be able to collect comments from your learners on the kahoot and download results.
How to Play Kahoot! in the Classroom
Before you may play in the classroom, you must first create a Ka-hoot! account and a Kahoot! quiz. You can watch the following instructions if you haven’t already.
- Log in to your account at kahoot.com.
- Select the Kahoots tab at the top of the menu.
- On the Kahoots Quiz page,
- Check the box next to the Kahoots quiz you wish to play.
- Press the Play button.
- Select either Classic (player vs. player) or Team mode (team vs. team with shared devices)
Note: You could indeed personalize point bonuses, name generator (auto-generated nickname to maintain student anonymity), usually comprise of questions and answers, two-step join for extra security (students enter the game pin and select the correct pattern), fully automated transitions, and game pin display in “Game Options.”
- The screen will now display the game lobby, along with the Game Pin # and instructions for joining.
- Students enter the Pin # in the Kahoot! mobile app or at kahoot.it on their devices (computer or mobile) and press the Enter button.
- Students enter a pseudonym and click the OK, go! button, which appears in the game lobby.
Students can also choose an automatically generated moniker.
- You will see students who participated in this Ka-hoot! To begin the game, click the Start button on your screen.
- Your screen will display the question and answer options, whereas student screens will focus on the answer buttons.
Students will choose the answer choice that corresponds to the button that is the same color and shape as the response choice.
- After all of the players have responded to the question, the correct answer and a bar graph displaying an overall picture of the class responses will be presented on the instructor’s screen.
- Press the Next button to proceed to the next question.
- The best five scorers will be displayed on the Leaderboard at the end of each question.
- After the game, the Podium will reveal the winner’s details, and the student screen will display their own results and rank.
- Click Get Outcomes to save an Excel spreadsheet with the results of student responses and scores.
Students can rate the Kahoot quiz, and the results can be saved as well.
How to find a game PIN
When you visit https://kahoot.it or open our mobile app and hit the “Enter PIN” button, you will see a form that asks for a “game PIN.”
A game PIN is a one-time use code that indicates the game you want to play.
When someone presents a live kahoot or assigns a it, this PIN is produced.
Where can I get a PIN for a game?
You must obtain it from the game’s host.
Each kahoot session has its own set of game PINs.
They are generated after a kahoot is launched and used at kahoot.it or in our app to allow learners to join a host’s kahoot.
You cannot generate a PIN as a game participant.
A PIN must be issued to you by someone who is hosting a game.
If you wish to play alone, you don’t need a PIN; simply follow the steps in this article.
I already have a PIN; how can I join a game?
1. Go to kahoot.it in your device’s web browser, or open our mobile app and tap “Enter PIN.”
2. Enter your game PIN.
3. If the host has enabled “player identifier,” enter the requested identifier.
4. If the host has selected “friendly nickname generator,” click or tap the “spin” button to select a random moniker. If it isn’t enabled, provide a nickname of your choice.
Reasons to Play Kahoot! at Parties with Family and Friends
- Browse through millions of existing games on any theme! You can use these as is or replicate and alter them to make them your own.
- You may make your own kahoot for any occasion in only a few minutes.
- To participate in the game, all participants must have a mobile phone with an internet connection.
- It is used by students of all ages all around the world. If you’re a parent, you can effortlessly transition Kahoot!’ing from your children’s classroom to your living room.
- Competition gets everyone plugged in – and beware, your living room may become quite noisy!
- You can play in team mode to spice up competition in a larger group.
- Last but not least, the amusing Kahoot! Music is an important aspect of the gaming experience.
Become a true quiz master and challenge your family and friends to a fun game! For instance, how about playing Kahoot! with your loved ones? On the most romantic day of the year, try these themed quizzes!
Is the Kahoot app free to use?
It is completely free for instructors and students, and we intend to keep it that way as part of our mission to make learning awesome.
How do I set up Kahoot?
Open the Google Play Store app and search for Kahoot! and then select install.
Can you play Kahoot on a computer?
Start your fgame and show it on a computer (laptop or PC).
Players enter their answers using personal devices (such as smartphones or iPads).
The results are shown on the main game computer.
How do you participate in a Kahoot family game?
Choose the person you wish to call, then click the video call option.
Simply add another member to make a group call.
Once your video conference players have connected, click Play and Host live to open the kahoot in your web browser and display the lobby with the game PIN.
How to Use the App to Play Games
You have the option of studying a kahoot on your own or playing it with others.
- Launch the game that you want to play. To find anything fascinating, we recommend browsing our Discover area.
- Select Start to see all available options.
- Select Single Player to play against virtual opponents,
- Select Assignment to begin as a self-paced assignment, or
- Select one of the alternatives shown below: Live game, FaceTime, Flashcards, Practice, or Self-Test