How to Take a Screenshot on Windows- Knowing how to take a screenshot is a vital ability for both children and parents.
This tutorial will demonstrate how to take a Screenshot on windows and also how to screenshot an image on your smartphone, PC, or tablet.
Screenshots are not only valuable for showing computer applications and accessing online resources when you don’t have an internet connection, but they are also necessary for documenting proof of cyberbullying.
It must be understood that screenshots can be used to incite bullying because they enable the person taking the screenshot to duplicate damning photographs and messages.
However, in order for a young person to be prepared to deal with cyberbullying situations, he or she must understand how to document proof of cyberbullying by taking screenshots.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows -What is a Screenshot?
But first, exactly what is a screenshot?
A screenshot, also known as a screen capture, is a photograph taken by a computer, mobile, or tablet user while using the device in question to record the visible elements on the screen.
The image is saved in the form of a graphics file.
Screenshots can be taken with a variety of programmes or by using specific keyboard/button shortcuts.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows 10: Simple Methods
The methods shown below demonstrate how to screenshot on Windows to take full or minimised screenshots:
1. Use the Print Screen key to snap a screenshot of a minimised or full-screen capture.
2. Capture the computer screen using the game bar:
On the Windows operating system, you can take a full or minimised screenshot.
3. Screen capture with Alt + Prt Sc (print screen button).
4. Screen capture using Windows + Print Screen
5. Take a snapshot with the Snipping Tool app for Windows 6. Take a screenshot with the Snip & Sketch app
7. Capture screenshots on your PC with a third-party software or image editor.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – Use the Print Screen key/shortcut
The Print Screen key is the quickest way on how to take a Screenshot on Windows 10. (Prtscn).
This button is normally found near the Function (F#) keys on the top row of the keyboard.
Tap the Windows key + Print Screen key to record your complete screen and save it instantly.
Your screen will temporarily dim to signify that a screenshot has been taken, and the screenshot will be stored to the Pictures > Screenshots folder. Let’s take a closer look at this:
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – Simply follow these steps to capture your whole snapshot on Windows:
1. Press PrtScn on your keyboard’s upper-right side to make the specific screen you wish to print an active window.
2. You can capture a screenshot of your PC using the keyboard’s Prt Sc/Print Sc buttons.
To know how to take a Screenshot on Windows a full computer screen, press the PrtScn/Print Scrn button.
The snapshot will be saved to your Clipboard automatically.
3. To save the file, paste the screenshot into any tool that accepts images, such as Microsoft Word or Microsoft Paint.
4. Alternatively, how to take a screenshot on windows complete screen and save the screenshot automatically, use the Windows key + Print Screen key [windows key print screen].
To signal that you’ve just taken a screenshot, your screen will briefly dim.
5. The screenshot will be saved to the Pictures > Screenshots folder automatically.
To trigger the screen capture, you may need to hit the Function (Fn) key and the Print Screen button on some keyboards, i.e., Fn + PrtScn button/or Print Scrn (print screen)
The print screen key will copy the full screen to the clipboard.
To see the saved screenshots, look at the notifications in the lower right corner of your screen.
Please keep in mind that if you have many displays, they will be combined into a single image.
This method, by default, does not save the image as a file; instead, it copies it to the Clipboard.
After that, you can copy it (by hitting Ctrl+V or Right-Click > Copy) and paste it into a document (such as a Word or Google document) or an image processor (Like Microsoft Paint, or even Photoshop).
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – Alt + Prt Sc (print screen button) screen capture
1. How to take a screenshot on windows single active window, use the keyboard shortcut Alt + Prt Sc (print screen).
2. How to take a screenshot on windows of the active window you want, not just any window, you must first choose it by clicking on it.
3. Finally, hit Alt + Prt Sc (print screen button) or the Windows key print screen.
4. This will save the image to your Clipboard, which you can access by pasting it anywhere else.
If you want to save the image as a file, you can use a keyboard shortcut to do so.
1. Press the Windows key (with the Windows logo) + Prt Sc at the same time (print screen key). [Print Screen] (Windows key)
2. The image is saved as a file.
3. It is usually found at C: UsersPictures>Screenshots.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – Windows logo + Print Screen screen capture
1. To take a snapshot of your PC on Windows 10 and save it automatically, click the Windows key + Prt Sc (print screen)
2. Your screen will dim, and an image of your full screen will be saved to the Pictures > Screenshots folder.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – Use the Snipping Tool to take a screenshot
If you want to customise, annotate, or share your screen captures, the snipping tool is the finest way to screenshot on Windows.
The Snipping Tool programme is great for taking screenshots.
It has existed since Windows Vista.
You can use it to:
1. capture a computer screenshot of the entire screen,
2. capture a rectangular portion of the screen, or
3. capture a free-form screenshot.
Take aware, though, that utilising a snipping tool does not automatically save the snapshot as an image file, but it does provide the option to do so.
Related Articles: HOW TO TAKE A SCREENSHOT ON A MACBOOK
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows- Here’s how to use the snip and snipping tools to take a snapshot of your PC:
1. You must use the search bar to locate the screen snipping tool software. If the search bar isn’t visible, right-click on the taskbar, hover over Search, and select Show Search Box.
A window with the active snip sketch tool will appear.
2. A new window will appear. Select the Mode of the “snip” you want to take here: free-form, rectangular, window, or full-screen capture.
3. The Snipping Tool also allows you to define a snapshot delay, allowing you to take screenshots after a particular length of time. This is useful for recording pop-up menus and tooltips.
Set the time in seconds you want to wait before taking the snapshot by clicking on delay.
4. When you’re ready to snap the screenshot, select New.
The screen will gradually fade out, and the cursor will change to a cross.
If you choose the delay option, the screen will fade after the number of seconds you specify.
- If you chose the Rectangular screen snip mode, you can make a rectangle on the screen by clicking and dragging.
The screenshot will be the rectangle you draw.
- If you chose the Free-form snip, you can draw any shape you desire.
- Keep in mind that the screenshot will be taken after you quit pressing the right-click button.
- If you chose the Window snip, you can click on the windows you want to capture a screenshot of.
- Finally, if you select the full-screen snip, the programme will capture a full-screen screenshot of the entire screen.
After you’ve captured the snapshot, you have several alternatives.
1. Save the image as a file by selecting File > Save as… and save it to the selected location.
2. You can send it as an attachment to an email or as an email attachment by selecting File>Send to > Email recipient.
3. Print the screenshot by going to File > Print.
4. Select Edit > Copy to copy the screenshot to your clipboard.
5. You may also use the Pen or Highlighter functions to alter the screenshot.
The colour of the pen can be changed.
This is important if you want to draw the viewer’s attention to a certain region of the screenshot.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – Using the Snip & Sketch app to take a screenshot.
The Snip & Sketch software (or snip sketch tool) on Windows superseded the Snipping Tool and is one of the sketching tools available to Windows users.
If you want to customise, annotate, or share your screen captures, the Snip & Sketch programme is the finest way to screenshot on Windows.
1. To enable Snip & Sketch, press Windows Key + Shift + S or search for Snip & Sketch in the search box.
2. Your screen will dim, and a little menu will appear at the top, offering you the option to capture a rectangular, free-form, window, or complete computer screen.
3. You can choose how you want to take a screenshot.
These are the same settings that are available in the Snipping Tool. From left to right, they are:
- Rectangular PC screen snipping, freeform snipping, window snipping, and full screen capture or snipping
- Taking a screenshot here copies the image to your Clipboard.
- You may then paste it (Ctrl+V or Right-Click> Paste) into a document (such as a Word or Google document) or an image processor (Like Paint, or even Photoshop).
4. A new window will display if you search for Snip & Sketch in the search bar.
- In this window, click New to begin taking your screenshots, or click the arrow pointing down next to it to Snip in 3 or 10 seconds.
- When you select one of the options, the screen will darken and a toolbar will emerge at the top.
These are the same settings that are available in the Snipping Tool.
Rectangular Snip, Freeform Snip, Window Snip, and entire computer screen Snip are from left to right.
- Once you’ve chosen one of these, you’ll be able to take the screenshot you want, whether it’s a rectangle, a freeform, a specific window, or a full screen snapshot.
- Once you’ve captured the screenshot, the Snip & Sketch app will launch and display your snapshot.
Annotations can be made with a ballpoint pen, a pencil, or a highlighter.
You can remove them using the eraser, and you can also use a ruler (which you can adjust with the mouse wheel) to make comments at the desired angles.
Cropping the screenshot is also an option.
- Once you’ve finished modifying the image, use the buttons in the top right corner to Save, Copy, or Share it.
By selecting Save, you can specify where you want the photograph saved.
Choosing Copy will copy the image to your Clipboard, while clicking Share will allow you to share it with your contacts via email or other apps.
Summary: How to Take a Screenshot on Windows with the snip sketch tool to copy words or images from all or parts of your PC screen, or take screenshots on the Windows operating system.
Open the Snipping Tool on the screen to make changes or notes, then save and share.
Using the snip sketch tool, you can capture any of the following types of snips:
- Free-form snip: Surround an object with a free-form shape.
- Rectangular snip: To construct a rectangle, drag the cursor around an object.
- Window snip: Choose a window, such as a dialogue box, to capture.
- Full-screen snip: Take a screenshot of the full screen.
Also, when you capture a snip, it is automatically copied to the Snipping Tool window, where you may make adjustments, save, and share.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows Note: The keyboard shortcut Windows key + Shift + S is the quickest way to launch Snip & Sketch.
The Snip & Sketch tool is also displayed in the alphabetical list of apps accessible via the Start button, as well as in the notification panel on the lower right corner, where it is labelled as Screen (full) snip.
If you don’t remember the keyboard shortcut, you may just search for it.
(If you frequently take screenshots, we recommend pinning the app to the taskbar.)
In addition, when you take a screenshot, it is automatically saved to your clipboard, and a preview notification appears in the lower-right corner of your screen (notification panel).
To open the Snip & Sketch app and alter the screenshot with the available drawing tools before saving or sharing, click on the preview notification.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – Open Snipping Tool
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows 8.1 or How to Take a Screenshot on Windows RT 8.1
Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, select Search, type snipping tool into the search field, and then choose Snipping Tool from the results.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows 7
Select Start, then type snipping tool into the search bar, and finally choose Snipping Tool from the list of results.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – Using the Game Bar to take a Screenshot.
The final option we’ll go over is using the Game Bar to snap screen shots.
The game bar in Windows 10 allows you to record gaming footage, movies, and snapshots, among other things that we will not go into in this article.
Even if you are not playing a game, you can take screenshots with the game bar.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – Let’s look at how to use it:
1. To access the Game Bar overlay, press Windows Key + G. (windows key G). Make sure your active window is the precise window/screen you wish to record before pressing this.
2. Look for a window labelled Broadcast & capture in the top right corner of the screen. To take a screenshot, click on the Camera icon.
This saves the screenshot as a PNG file in the directory “C:UsersUsernameVideosCaptures.” This image will be displayed in full-screen mode.
In Windows 10, the game bar can assist you in recording the screen.
Windows 10 includes the Game Bar by default.
(If you can’t find it for whatever reason, you can get it here.)
However, if you haven’t used it before, it’s worth double-checking to make sure it’s operational — especially before you attempt to capture movies.
1. On your keyboard, press Windows Key + G (Windows Key G). This should activate the Game Bar. If it doesn’t, here’s how to make it work:
2. Navigate to the Start Menu.
3. Open Settings by clicking on the cog symbol.
4. Select “Gaming”
5. Turn on the switch at the top labelled “Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar.” It’s worth noting that the page you’ve opened also includes keyboard shortcuts for Game Bar commands like opening the Game Bar, taking a screenshot, and beginning and stopping a PC screen recording.
If you choose, you can also create your own shortcuts for these actions and enter them here. You can now start screen recording and recording game clips of your favourite game with the game bar enabled.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – How to Record your Screen with the Game Bar
Keep in mind that the Game Bar can only record a screen of one application or active window at a time, which is usually the last window you clicked into.
You also can’t move to recording another window once you’ve started recording.
The gaming bar also does not allow you to record your entire screen, thus you can’t record your Desktop, File Explorer, or a few other apps like Maps.
If possible, we urge that you experiment ahead of time.
Here are the methods on How to Take a Screenshot on Windows and game clips with the game bar (using the Xbox Game Bar):
1. Launch the Windows application that you wish to record.
To avoid mistakenly recording the wrong one, you may need to dismiss or minimise other windows or apps.
It may also assist to turn off any audio you don’t want in the recording, even if it’s from another app or window.
The screen recorder captures all audio playing across all applications on the device.
2. Hold down the Windows key and press the G key.
This will launch the Xbox Game Bar.
3. To enable external audio recording, click the microphone icon.
This will let you to include commentary or a voiceover. (You will continue to capture internal audio.)
4. To begin recording, click the Record button (the one with a dot in it). Alternatively, you can start recording without entering the Game Bar by pressing Windows + Alt + R.
5. In any case, a little pop-up bar with a timer and two recording controls will appear.
6. Click the microphone button to turn your external microphone on and off (your internal mic will remain on) and finish your recording.
When you’re finished, click the stop button or press Windows + Alt + R to stop recording the screen.
The screen recording will be saved to your computer.
8. A notification will appear in the lower right corner of the notification panel, saying “Game clip recorded.” If you click on the message, File Explorer will open the “Captures” or “Screenshots” folder.
9. You can also locate your recording using File Explorer. Navigate to “This PC”> “Videos”> “Captures” or the screenshots directory.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – Use third party app to capture screenshots on PC
If the techniques offered by Windows on how to take a screenshot on windows are ineffective in capturing screenshots, you can use third-party software.
Third-party integrations are an essential element of Windows screenshot tools.
They enhance your screen capture by capturing scrolling screens and allowing easy sharing across other work productivity programmes.
Third-party print screen software integrates with image editing [image editor], project management, file sharing, and communications applications to maximise tool efficiency and worker productivity.
How to take a screeshot on windows – Some of the third party screen capture tools include:
- Apowersoft Screen Capture Pro
How to take a Screenshot on Windows 11
In Windows 11, there are several ways on how to take a screenshot on Windows capture a screenshot. Here are few alternative methods for showing you how to screen capture on Windows 11.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – Take a screenshot of the entire screen with the Prt Sc key
In Windows 11, you’ll utilise the PrtSc key on an active window, same like in Windows 10.
1. Press the PrtSc key.
2. The screenshot will be saved to your clipboard, but you will not receive any notification that it was successfully taken.
3. To view the full-screen screenshot, use Ctrl-V and paste it into a programme such as Microsoft Paint or Microsoft Word, or even the body of an email.
Take a full-screen screenshot using Windows key + PrtSc and save it to your PC.
1. The Windows key + Print Scren keys, like the PrtSc key, will take a screenshot of your full desktop, but only on an active window.
2. It will, however, save the screenshot to a folder on your computer.
3. If you press the keys correctly, your entire screen will flash, indicating that the screenshot has been taken and saved automatically.
4. All of your full-screen screenshots may be found in Pictures -> Screenshots.
How to take a Screenshot on Windows – Use the Snip & Sketch Tool to take a screenshot of only part of the screen
Perhaps you only want to capture a part or an active window of the PC’s screen.
In this situation, Windows 11 allows you to grab a partial screenshot with the snip and sketch tool:
1. Press the Windows keys Win + Shift + S; your screen will flash and a small Snipping Tool menu will appear at the top.
2. From left to right, this panel will allow you to do the following:
- Rectangular screen Snip: Draw a box around the object you want to capture.
- Freeform Snip: Draw whatever shape around the object you want to capture.
- Window Snip: Select a window to snip.
- Full-screen Snip: Take a screenshot of your full screen (same thing as PrtScr).
3. As with the Prt Scr key choice, the screenshot will be saved to your clipboard once it is taken.
4. You can then copy it and paste it somewhere else to look at it.
5. However, if you click the Snipping Tool preview at the bottom of the screen, you’ll be able to tweak the screenshot (crop, rotate, and so on) and save it to your desktop.
How to take a Screenshot on Windows – Use the Snipping Tool to take delayed screenshots
The Snipping Tool is included in Windows 11, as it was in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. Except for a few minor changes, it is the identical tool used in the Snip and Sketch tools. To use it,
1. Search for Snipping Tool and then use the application to snap a computer screenshot.
2. When you click New, a tiny Snipping Tool menu appears, from which you can select one of multiple snips.
3. With this full-version of the Snipping Tool, however, you can select any of the four snipping options (rectangular, freeform, window, and fullscreen) and then select a delay option.
4. In the drawing window, you may select a 3-, 5-, or 10-second delay.
5. This will give you some time to set up whatever you’re attempting to screenshot and may make the process easier than capturing the photo manually.
6. To take the delayed screenshot, press Win-Shift-S, and the screenshot will be transferred to your clipboard. You can also alter the screenshot preview that shows and save it to your computer as a JPEG, png, or other format.
How to take a Screen Shot on Windows- Third-party screenshot apps for Windows
If you’re not happy with any of the built-in Windows techniques, there are third-party screenshot programmes to consider, each with its own set of extra features.
Lightshot and other screenshot apps are useful for social sharing.
Lightshot: is a free screenshot application that allows for instant social sharing. Lightshot replaces the Print Screen function in Windows 10 and provides greater editing possibilities.
Greenshot: another free programme that allows you to modify and customise screenshots, as well as capture a full scrolling web page.
Snagit: is a screenshot application that allows you to take full-page screenshots, make animated GIFs, and more.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows -The drawback of Third-party App?
The premium edition is $50. There’s also a 30-day free trial, but any images you take during that time will be watermarked.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – How to Take a Screenshot on Mac
- To capture a snapshot of the entire screen, use the Command, Shift, and 3 buttons simultaneously:
When using a Mac, holding down the Command, Shift, and 3 buttons at the same time will capture a screenshot of your full screen.
This screenshot will be saved to your desktop automatically. To snap a screenshot of a specific region, press the Command, Shift, and 4 keys together.
- To take a screenshot, use the Grab tool:
The Grab tool for Mac is an alternative to keyboard shortcuts.
Grab is an application that comes standard with Macs.
It makes it simple to take screenshots simply clicking Capture and then selecting the type of screenshot you want to shoot. Grab is only one of several programmes available to help you take screenshots.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – How to Take a Screenshot on a Smartphone/Tablet
The method for taking a screenshot on a smartphone or tablet differs based on the operating system and device.
Searching online is the most convenient way to learn how to screenshot on your specific gadget.
The YouTube videos below demonstrate how to take screenshots with some of the most popular phones and tablets.
To take a screenshot on a phone or tablet, generally press the power and home buttons simultaneously. Your screenshot will be automatically added to your gallery.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – How to Take a Screen record on a Phone
Please keep in mind that many smartphones nowadays can screen record, which means they can capture movies of the screen.
For Android phones or older iPhones, a third-party app is required.
Apple iOS 11 or later includes screen recording features. You may enable these by navigating to Settings/ Control Centre/ Customise Controls/ Screen Recording.
Swiping up on the home screen will bring you to the screen recording option in your control panel. Recordings are saved to the camera’s memory card.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – FAQs
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – How do I quickly take a screenshot in Windows 10?
To capture a screenshot on Windows 10 and save it automatically, use the Windows key + PrtScn. Your screen will become dim, and a screenshot of the full screen will be saved to the Screenshots folder.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – How do I take a screenshot in one click?
Screenshot in one click. Complete websites should be screenshotted. The default shortcut is Alt+Shift+S (Option+Shift+S on Mac).
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – How to automatically save screenshots windows 10?
Tap the Windows key + Print Screen key to record your complete screen and save it instantly. Your screen will temporarily dim to signify that a screenshot has been taken, and the screenshot will be stored to the Pictures > Screenshots folder.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – How do I take a screenshot on an HP laptop?
How to take a screenshot on your HP laptop
1. Press the Windows and Print Screen keys simultaneously.
2. This will record the entire screen.
3. Launch Paint or any other picture editing software.
4. To paste the screenshot, press CTRL + V.
5. Save the document as a JPG or PNG.
How to Take a Screenshot on Windows – Conclusion
That’s all there is to it!
You now seen all the techniques and methods on how to take a sreenshot on windows 10 and Windows 11. We hope this tips on how to take a screenshot on windows was very helpful.
Please enter your email address to subscribe to our newsletter! Receive the latest technology news in your email and be the first to receive our productivity tips.