Google Trends is not the same as your standard SEO tool. For those of us in e-commerce, it is very helpful at informing you of the seasonal trends of certain products – or your niche.
You can also use it to overcome competitors by checking their positions
Google Trends is an underused tool in content marketing. Though, it is a useful tool with a variety of uses that are likely to improve your marketing strategy.
Related >>> Google Maps: How to Use Google Maps and Its Best Features
Google Trends: What is Google Trends?
Google Trends is a search trend feature that illustrates how often a given search term is entered into the Google search engine in relation to the site’s total search volume over a while.
It is an online search tool that permits the user to see how often keywords, titles, and phrases are quizzed over some time.
It is also a simple tool given by Google for the sole purpose of showing what trending on the Internet right now based on Google data.
Google’s Trend for SEO and Content Marketing: Why Use Google Trend?
- Use Google Trends to learn what people in your target market are looking for. Blogging about the trending headlines can help drive traffic to your site.
- To encourage your ad to be creative, browse Google Trends to see which keywords are currently gaining public interest.
- Identifying a trending product in your marketing campaigns, be it an explosion of an email, a Facebook ad, or a radio spot, can surge your advertising engagement
- Google search trends data can be very useful to vendors, you will want to increase your marketing efforts when search terms relevant to your business are trending.
- Google Trends can be used for keyword research to compare and detect events-triggered spikes in the keyword search volume.
- Google Trends offers keyword-related data including search volume index and geographical information about search engine users.
A huge amount of searches take place every year thereby making Google Trends one of the world’s largest real-time datasets.
Demographic research provides a unique perspective on what they are presently interested in and wants to know about.
You can also parallel two or more different trends, which can be useful for various drives. The best part is, it’s completely free.
How to Use Google Trends in Your Content Marketing Strategy
How Does Google Trends Work?
- Using Google Trend is simple: firstly, go to Google Trends, enter a search query or a topic, and click enter.
- After that, you can then enter another query on the ‘+ COMPARE’ field, or add filters.
- Thirdly, there are four filters to customize: country, period, category (niches and industries), and Google Property (web, image, news, Google Shopping, and YouTube).
- Now, you will be shown a simple chart to see the status of your query/topic (on a scale of 0-100). Above all, you can modify sub-region and see related topics and queries.
Checkout >>> How to Move Google Authenticator to A New Phone
Plan a Content Strategy Using Google Trends
There are two core techniques in using Google Trends to plan a content strategy:
- Finding patterns
- Riding the momentum of a ‘hot’ trend.
- Find Patterns and Prepare Seasonal Content
Examining how trends come and go can help in organizing a content strategy if you understand the pattern. You can publish your content to match the pattern.
Google Trends can help you find exact keywords to publish your content targeting the keyword, and this can also help you in planning your advertising and email marketing campaigns.
- Capitalize On One-Off Hot Trends
Then again, there are ‘one-off’ trends and events that unexpectedly spike, but will drop relatively fast. For instance, the release date of a huge movie or event.
Please bear in mind that if you are planning to use Google Trends for keyword research – (keyword planner tool) it won’t be as accurate.
But, you can combine Google Trends with a steadfast keyword research tool (i.e. Ahrefs or SEMRush) for even better insights.
Since Google Trends is free, it’s a must-have tool in your content marketing arsenal.