When you use Microsoft Word, pressing F9 will refresh your document. It also causes Microsoft Outlook to ‘Send and Receive’ any unread emails.
If you’re using Mac OS X, hit the F9 key to access Mission Control.
F9 could stand for any of the following:
- F9 is shorthand for “Fine,” and it is occasionally used in chat communication.
- The Func9 key is a function key that may be found towards the top of practically all computer keyboards. On an Apple computer, the key is typically used to launch Mission Control. v can also be used for different purposes depending on the machine and program.
What the F9 Key Does?
- Func9 computes the formulas in all open workbooks’ worksheets. For example, if you’re using the =NOW() formula, pressing Func9will update the time.
- Shift-Func9 only calculates the active worksheet.
- Ctrl-Alt- Func9 calculates all open workbooks’ worksheets, even if they haven’t changed since the last calculation.
- Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Shift- Func9 validates dependent formulae and computes all worksheets in all open spreadsheets.
- The active workbook window is minimized by pressing Ctrl- Func9.
How to use the F9 key
Func9will open the program that uses the key. If the Func9 key has an icon on it, it means the key has a secondary function. To use the secondary function, press and hold the Fn key, then hit Func9 while still holding the key.
If the secondary function is performed by hitting the Function Key 9 (e.g., mutes audio), the function keys are the secondary function. On an Apple computer, for example, to press Func9, hold down the fn key and press Function Key 9.
When the FnLk (function lock) setting is enabled, the keyboard behaves as if the Fn key is pressed until it is unlocked.
The secondary function of Func9 section contains information about what the secondary function could be.
Where is the F9 key used?
The list below contains all of the areas where the F9 key can be used, as well as information on how to utilize it.
- Mac OS X
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Outlook
On an Apple computer running the macOS X operating system, pressing the Fn key and F9 at the same time launches Mission Control.
Every worksheet in Microsoft Excel is recalculated.
In Microsoft Word, refresh the document.
Microsoft Outlook allows you to send and receive e-mail.
In Quark 5.0, this command opens the Measurements toolbar.
Secondary Function of F9
Each function key on laptop keyboards and desktop computer keyboards with the Fn key has two functions. Unfortunately, no standard exists for what each key’s secondary function is, therefore each keyboard is unique. A list of several keyboards and their supplementary functions for the Func9key is provided below.
Apple Keyboard F9
The default F9 key on Apple keyboards is used to fast advance in media players. Func9 is accessed by pressing fn+ Func9 for the secondary function.
Cooler Master keyboard F9
Depending on the model, the F9 secondary function on Cooler Master desktop keyboards is one of the following.
- FN+Func9 mutes the audio on single-color keyboard backlight keyboards.
- When using a keyboard with different backlight colors (RGB), press FN+Func9 to change the repeat rate mode.
Dell keyboard F9
The Func9 key on Dell laptop keyboards has a secondary function of muting and unmuting the volume.
HP Keyboard F9
The secondary F11 function in supported media players rewinds or goes to the previous track on Hewlett-Packard laptop keyboards with two left arrows pointing to a line on the F11 key.
Lenovo ThinkPad F9
The Func9 key secondary function accesses the settings on IBM and Lenovo ThinkPad keyboards with a gear icon.
Logitech keyboard F9
The F9 key is used to play and pause in supported media players on Logitech keyboards with a right triangle and two lines. The Func9 key on Logitech keyboards with a line through a speaker mutes and unmutes the volume.
Microsoft Surface F9
The Home key is the secondary function of the Func9 key on Microsoft Surface notebooks.
How do I Change the function keys’ Default behavior?
The Fn key on laptop and desktop keyboards can be used for a variety of functions. If you have little icons next to most of your F1 through F12 function keys, they can do more than one thing. The F1 through F12 keys are assigned to primary functions by some manufacturers, while multimedia features are assigned by others (e.g., adjusting volume, mute, changing brightness).
This website is for those who don’t like the way their computer function keys work by default and wish to modify them. A MacBook user, for example, who uses the F1 through F12 keys more frequently than the multimedia keys and wishes to change the default behavior of the key.
F9 is Not Working
Let’s go ahead and try the solutions listed below to see if they can help you solve your problem with the Func9 Key on your PC:
- Press Windows + W, then type “Turn on-screen keyboard on or off” and press Enter.
- Select “Start On-Screen Keyboard” from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Fn keys on the lower left hand side of the keyboard and see if they operate.
If you’re still having trouble toggling the F9 key, we recommend following the steps below:
- In the Search box, type Troubleshooting and press Enter.
- From the Troubleshooter Window, choose Hardware and Sound.
- Select Configure a Device from the drop-down menu and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Press the Windows key + X and then select Control Panel.
- Select Mouse and, on the Device Settings tab of the Mouse Properties screen, select Disable to disable the Touchpad.
- Restart the laptop/computer and select Enable.
Prevent Excel from freezing due to the infamous F1/F9 annoyances.
Excel’s function keys are crucial. However, there is a good risk that you will miss the commonly used F2 or ESC buttons and instead press F1. Your computer begins slowly loading Excel Help, and closing the task window takes an eternity.
Accidentally pressing the Func9 key is no less aggravating. Excel begins recalculating all open workbooks’ worksheets.
Almost always, it results in frozen Excel, interrupted work, and failed file recovery attempts. For some Excel professionals, physically removing the F1/Func9 caps from the keyboard is a last option.
You can avoid this by using the XLTools Disable F1/Func9 feature:
- Instantly disable F1/ Func9 keys for all Excel spreadsheets
- Easily re-enable when needed
- Other shortcuts stay operational
- No need to develop a VBA program every time
Before you begin, disable the F1/Func9 keys in Excel.
One of the 20+ functions included with the XLTools Add-in for Excel is the ability to disable the F1/F9 keys. Excel 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, and desktop Office 365 are all supported.
What is the functionality of the XLTools Disable F1/F9 feature?
- You can disable the F1 and F9 keys at the same time or independently.
- When disabled, the F1/F9 function keys are inactive for all open workbooks.
- Unless enabled again, F1/F9 will stay disabled for future Excel sessions.
- F1/F9 will remain disabled until you enable them again, even if you restart Excel or navigate to another workbook.
What exactly is control Func9?
Change a field. This is equivalent to right-clicking a field and selecting “Update Field.”
What exactly is Func9 on a Chromebook?
Reduce the volume (Func9) Turn up the volume (F10) From your app list, search your apps and the web. This key is situated on the side of a Chromebook, where the Caps Lock key would normally be.
If you’re using a standard keyboard, the Windows key (the one between Ctrl and Alt) will function as the search key.
What is the function of Fn Func9?
Using the Func9 and Fn keys at the same time on an Apple computer running macOS X launches Mission Control. It activates the menu bar of an open application in Microsoft Windows.
What does F9 mean on a Dell laptop?
Func9 – Play/Pause
To play or pause a track, press Fn > Func9 >.
What does F9 mean on a Lenovo laptop?
Func9 key for quick access to frequently used notification and action settings
On a Mac, what is Alt F9?
Fn-option-Func9/fn-alt-Func9 toggles fields between “field code view,” where you see all the, and field results view.